Thursday, June 28, 2007

Concluding Thoughts

Our IST project is almost at an end (sadly) and I thought I would post some of my concluding thoughts on this week's class. It was really interesting to learn about the field of IT and how it is such a diverse area of study. Now I know that you can apply Information Technology to any field of study all over the globe, just as Dr. Maitland, one of our IT guest speakers, studies developing countries. Throughout this week, I learned how to create a blog and even communicated with Indian students to exchange information about our cultures. We also discussed the role of technology in our lives and how it can be considered as good or bad. (See the refridgerator example in the above post!) With the amazing amount of information available on the internet, IT is truly a Gateway to the World. A perfect example of which is that in only one week, we were able to communicate with students across the globe. Two of my favorite activites of the class were the cell phone redesign activity because it allowed us to be creative and focus on the people side of the ITP triangle and the creation of the movie, which summed up nicely this exciting week. Among the numerous interesting things I learned was the wide array of careers available in the IT field, how so many people resort to virtual realities such as There and how so much money is spent online, the amusing cultural blunders (Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead!), Alicebot and how we are Time magazine's most important person of 2006. This week was really exciting, interesting and rewarding and I learned alot about IT! Thanks so much, Sharoda and Joey! You were great teachers and I had alot of fun!

1 comment:

Sharoda said...

Hi Jessica, I'm glad you enjoyed learning about IST. The cell phone design activity is similar to an activity that we have students do at the undergraduate level and the design you guys suggested were even more creative than the ones they suggest. I liked that you thought about designing for the elderly. I'm also glad that the movie-making was fun. Thanks to you guys for being such awesome students and do keep in touch. All the best!